When you have a baby, everyone is always inquiring about the milestones your kid is reaching: smiling, sitting up, crawling, clapping, waving, and on and on and on.
Those babies get all the glory.
Nine-plus months into new motherhood, I’ve hit a few “mom milestones” that all moms deserve applause for:
- Every time YOU sleep through the night. Sure, it’s nice when the baby does it, but let’s be real…many nights, most moms are still waking up waiting for the baby to wake. And some moms get up in the middle of the night to pump even though the baby is sleeping soundly.
- The first time you give your kid a toy that dropped on the floor without rinsing it off first. It took us a few months on this one, but now we just roll with it.
- The first time you leave your kid with someone else at bedtime. This is kind of a serious one but just happened for me last night. We were so worried and the baby couldn’t have cared less. Which is….good?
- Any time you put on an outfit you really want to wear and DON’T get spit up on. I know we have no control over this, but it still feels damn good.
- The first time you forget about an important event at school/daycare…like picture day. Which happened to me on the baby’s FIRST EVER picture day. #momfail (We deserve applause for this because the world didn’t end and hopefully we remember that in the future.)
- Any time you sit your butt on the couch during baby’s nap time. This is like mentally impossible for me and probably many of you - but we deserve it.