I’m a stickler for a good deal. Who isn’t, right? I try not to pay full price for anything, especially clothing. I have three kids (two in parochial school). My full-time job is a stay-at-home mom. I do freelance work on the side, but I am by no means the breadwinner. You won’t find me on a major spending spree. Like many moms, I don’t overspend and I’m cautious when purchasing items for myself.
Don’t get me wrong, I love to shop. Even more, I love buying items for next to nothing. Is it just me? Or do you swoon over an unbelievable shopping deal, too? I sometimes can be a little dramatic about it. I’m like a little kid in a candy store. Pure joy! Ever see the YouTube video of a comedian poking fun at women who love to brag about their good deals? It’s hilarious, and totally me (and my husband)!
This time of year is ideal to get the best bang for your buck on winter clothes. Half-off sales are everywhere. Nordstrom’s winter sale is going on right now! I tend to stock up on clothing that I eyed all season. My most recent purchase is a jacket from White House Black Market, one of my favorite retail stores. I waited for the sale and applied a coupon to get almost 80 percent off the original price.
You often can find clearance deals on pre-season items now, too. I typically choose classic items on pre-season stuff and eliminate less trendy things that might not make it through to the next wearable season.
So how do I keep my wardrobe in check without spending too much? Here are a few of my own shopping tips:
- Get smarter about where you shop. Become familiar with your favorite store’s website and in-store layout. Know your size so you can quickly grab sale items before someone else.
- Sign up for emails or become a preferred shopper. Retailers often send coupons and surprise deals via email. As a preferred shopper, you can automatically get a percentage off your total purchase.
- Shop online. Almost all of my clothing purchases are done via my iPhone. It’s convenient and fits into my schedule. I browse here and there, and stick things in the shopping cart for a later purchase. I typically shop when my kids are sleeping – early in the morning or late at night.
- Be friendly with sales associates. If you don’t have a coupon, just ask. You’d be surprised how many stores will give you a discount without hesitation.
- Shop the annual sale. I find a really good annual or semi-annual sale is a great way to score items from high-end brands like Tory Burch, Kate Spade or Lilly Pulitzer. You have to be fast to get what you want before items in your size run out!
- Frequent discount websites. Zulily and HauteLook are two of my favorite sites. You can find huge discounts on major brands like The North Face, UGG, Hunter and more. Again, you have to be fast when top products go on sale to get what you want. I sometimes set an alarm on my phone to remind myself I need to jump online at the start of a sale.
I hope some of these tips help you stretch your dollar and get a little more creative when shopping for you or your family!
What did I miss? Tell us about your shopping strategies!