Since there will be no more babies in this belly, I am passing on all of my tips to keeping a pregnancy secret for as long as possible, particularly during tricky happy hours with co-workers or dinners with friends.
During my first pregnancy, when I was hyper-sensitive about being outed before I was ready, I masterminded all kinds of ways to fake drink during social events with co-workers and friends. My favorite story, which perfectly illustrates my level of paranoia, was when I was meeting up with some friends at a restaurant in Tremont that I had been looking forward to trying, Ty Fun.
When I arrived, I realized in a panic that one of my best tricks up till that time (tip #3: pay off the bartender) was dead in the water. If you haven’t been to Ty Fun, it’s one giant room and my friends had already been seated with a clear view of me when I walked in. What to do?!!! I said hello, left my coat on my chair and said I needed to visit the ladies’ room.
From my bathroom stall, I Googled the restaurant’s phone number, called them up and asked if whoever was assigned as our server would bring me an alcohol-free version of whatever drink I asked for. The ridiculous, yet effective, convo went something like this.
Restaurant: “So what table are you at?”
Me: “My three friends are seated in the back. I have red hair.”
Restaurant: “I don’t see you.”
Me: “I know. I’m calling you from the bathroom.”
Restaurant: “Why are you calling from the bathroom?”
Me: “Because I don’t want my friends to know I’m pregnant so I can’t actually order a non-alcoholic drink. Can you please help me?!”
Restaurant: “Uh, okay.”
Of course all of my friends were drinking red wine, which is hard to fake (I have faked white before though), so I ordered the house mixed drink special…WHICH CAME OUT WITH A GIANT PINEAPPLY FRUIT ACCOUTREMENT. I don’t know how I didn’t get outed right then and there because it looked so ridiculous, but I made it!
So, without further adieu, here are my top five tips:
1. Be selective with outings – yes, it sucks to be a homebody before you even birth your little ball and chain…errr bundle of joy, but pick your battles.
2. Arrive with a co-conspirator – if you can, find a friend you can trust who can be your wingman in case your plan goes to hell.
3. Go early – if you’re on your own, get there first so you can order a non-alcoholic drink that looks legit.
4. Make friends/pay off your server/bartender – briefly explain your situation and ask them to not make a big deal about bringing you your fake drink. Tip big.
5. White wine or mixed drinks are the easiest to fake – if a friend wants to try yours, say you’re worried you’re getting sick.
BONUS: If you’re put on the spot, order a drink, take a sip and then fake a headache. Someone did this to me, and it totally fooled me.
What has worked for you guys? Any massive fails?
A version of this post was originally published on Postcards from Christina.